365 traducciones

08 julio 2005

XXI poemas de amor (III)

III.

Since we’re not young, weeks have to do time
for years of missing each other. Yet only this odd warp
in time tells me we’re not young.
Did I ever walk the morning streets at twenty,
my limbs streaming with a purer joy?
Did I lean from any windows over the city
listening for the future
as I listen hare with nerves tuned for your ring?
And you, you move toward me with the same tempo.
Your eyes are everlasting, the green spark
of the blue-eyed grass of early summer,
the green-blue wild cress washed by the spring.
At twenty, yes: we thought we’d live forever.
At forty-five, I want to know even our limits.
I touch you knowing we weren’t born tomorrow,
and somehow, each of us will help the other live,
and somewhere, each of us must help the other die.

III.

Ya que no somos jóvenes, las semanas deben ser
para extrañarnos largas como años. Y ese extraño
doblez en el tiempo me dice que no somos jóvenes.
¿Anduve las calles matutinas a los veinte,
humeantes mis miembros con impura alegría?
¿Me apoyé en cualquier ventana sobre la ciudad
escuchando el futuro
como ahora escucho, nerviosa, el teléfono tuyo?
Y tú, tú viene a mí con el mismo tempo.
Tus ojos son eternos, la chispa
verde de la hierba lavada por la primavera.
A los veinte, sí, pensábamos vivir para siempre.
A los cuarenta y cinco, quiero saber nuestros límites.
Te toco sabiendo que no nacimos mañana
y, de algún modo, cada una ayudará a la otra a vivir
y que, en algún sitio, cada una deberá ayudar a la otra a morir.